Monday, August 31, 2009

Things I Love


UNLV Football
I support my local teams as much as anyone else who is proud of their region. I'm a fixture at UNLV games throughout the year, no matter what the sport is. Football, basketball, baseball, volleyball and many other sports as well.

The UNLV football program is a relatively small program but it brings endless hours of excitement to me. I'm a regular at their practices and I follow the team year-round. Homecoming week brings daily/nightly events. Next year is finally here and dare I say it - The Rebels will be going to a bowl game this season. Mark it down.

The Rebels return four offensive line starters from last year's team that allowed just 14 sacks in 12 games - ranking them among the best in the nation.

Starting quarterback Omar Clayton returns as does wide receiver Ryan Wolfe. Ryan Wolfe will be playing on Sundays next year - throw the ball to him, he's money.

The big question will be UNLV's defensive line. It appears that they are bigger and faster than what they showed last season - the Rebels were among the worst Division-1 teams in sacks and tackles for a loss in 2008.

Before I go on with 3000 words here, I'll back down and predict that the Rebels are a surprise team this year in the Mountain West Conference which will feature no less than three Top-25 teams, TCU, BYU and Utah.

The Rebels open with three home games this year while playing seven home games overall. The Rebels open up against Sacramento State this Saturday night and face Top-25 ranked Oregon State in week two. I'm calling for the Rebels to upset Oregon State next week. I'm looking for the Rebels to be 4-0 going into the rivalry game at Nevada-Reno on October 3rd. That's the biggest game on the UNLV schedule each season.

I'm looking forward to this Saturday's opener at Sam Boyd Stadium - a cold front is predicted for later in the week. It looks as if it's going to be only about 90 degrees at kickoff .