Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Try and keep up

I have watched Canadian Football as many times in my life as I have had sex with a Victoria’s Secret model, and I know what you’re thinking, but no, I don’t actually have sex with Victoria’s Secret models nightly. It’s actually zero times, so you’ll understand that I was a bit clueless when it came to watching the ending of Friday night’s game between the Montreal Alouettes and the Toronto Argonauts. Tied at 30, the Als line up to kick the game-winning field goal.

In the CFL, the most notable difference in field goal kicking from the NFL is the position of the goal post, but don’t worry – it gets even zanier! You see, if the kicker makes the field goal, the team gets 3 points, plain and simple. However, if the kicker misses the field goal, the defense (or defence for our northern friends) has to retrieve the ball and either return it out of the end zone or, if they don’t think they can return it, they have to kick the ball away. If the kicking team recovers the ball in the end zone, they get the touchdown, or if the ball goes out of the end zone, they also get one point. I guess what I’m trying to say is – SACRE BLEU!

Watch this.



Crazy stuff, eh?